What is Nutritional Yeast?
Baking yeast, the kind that makes bread rise, has a non-reactive by product which is called nutritional yeast. The nick-name is actually “nooch”.
Why use it?
- The number one reason to use it is that it tastes great. I don’t mean a little good, I mean it tastes and melts really well adding a savory to your dish that is similar to cheese.
- It is extremely packed with nutrition, thus the name.
Bragg Nutritional Yeast, 1 Tablespoon Serving
180% Daily value of B1 (Thiamine)
160% Daily value of B2 (Riboflavin)
70% Daily Value B3 (Niacin)
140% Daily Value B6 (Pyridoxine)
40% Daily Value Folic Acid
40% Daily Value B12
3 grams protein
*Any B12 is a fortified added ingredient as it does not naturally come in this by product of baker’s yeast.
How to use it?
The top, most used ways to incorporate this into your diet are as follows.
- Savory additive to pasta or meat alternative dishes.
- Raw by sprinkling into smoothies and salads
- Vegan dishes to replicate cheese such as nacho dip and mac and cheese
Where to find it in your grocery store?
The bulk bin or in the spice isle. Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning